Each month, School Year Program’s Younger Group participates in activities that correspond with the month’s theme. February’s theme was “Valentine’s Day Fun”! The evening included a variety of heart themed activities and games.
Here is a sensory bag activity that’s great for all ages and a fun fine motor activity just in time for Valentine’s Day!
- White paper (1 piece per person)
- Sandwich bags (1 per person)
- Markers (red or pink)
- Buttons of various sizes (red, pink and white) (10 per person)
- Fake rose petals (6 per person)
- Red or pink ribbon (3 one inch strips per person)
- Baby oil, hair gel or shaving cream
- Draw a heart on a white sheet of paper using a red or pink marker.
- Cover the entire heart with buttons.
- Add all the buttons needed to cover the heart into a gallon sized Ziploc bag.
- Add some baby oil or hair gel to the bag.
- Grab the heart you drew on white paper and place it on a table or other flat surface.
- Tape your sensory bag over the top of the piece of paper with the heart on it.
- Use your fingers to move the buttons around and fill the heart!
- Baby oil will make the buttons easier to move around.
- Hair gel will make the buttons more difficult to move around.
- Use shaving cream to make the buttons more challenging to find!
- Make this seasonal and change up the colors and shape for a new activity next holiday!